Monday, December 27, 2010

a toast to 2010...

Now that 2010 is coming to an end…I think I can finally take one long sigh….This has been one eventful year nevertheless, with all the drama it had in store for me it has also taught me some of the greatest lessons of my life.
I think the most important of these is organization. I have to admit I could have been quite a mess before. I never understood why everything had to be so organized or why things couldn’t be done at a much later time, was always at loggerheads with my sister who is a cleanliness freak. I thought that a little untidiness was natural but all that changed when I had my son. Of course I had no choice being a student and a mom means that I got to plan my time if am going to make it in both worlds. It is a challenge that I have gladly taken up and I think am doing pretty well. Now I can do stuff in the shortest time possible, I can multitask and I never do things at a much later time…
In life when everything seems to be moving in the right direction we are often so proud of ourselves and are so in love with ourselves but it is not until we are tried that this self pride is put to test. There was a time when anyone who had self esteem issues came up to me for advice and I was always so proud of myself but being a young mum kind of puts you in the not so right books of society. It also gives people a chance to judge you and say all sorts of things most of them hurtful. Having to go through all these nearly brought down my self esteem until I realized that if I continued to give people a chance to tell me who I am and whom I have become the only progress I would make in my life is age. So yes I have stopped listening to the bad stuff, I don’t let anyone tell me how to run my life. I believe my whole being cannot be judged by my mistakes so I hold up my head high, put my past behind and look ahead and yes motherhood is now a crown that I wear with pride.
In the midst of all these, I think the greatest lesson I have learnt this year is that of love. Never have I seen so much love from people. My mum, sister and brother gave me so much support and despite my mistakes still took me back and continue to love me immensely. My friends Vickie,Ngetha,Pashu,Christine,Faith,Juma;my roommates Hellen,Mitchelle,Grace…they all made this year so much easier, funnier and happier and I never felt alone and to the cook in the mess who always gave me an extra serving…he made the pregnancy hunger pangs less severe. But the greatest of all these was God’s love he always assured me that it was going to be okay and I worried much less even when people thought I should be depressed.
Just like Charles dickens wrote in his book a Tale of Two Cities… it was the best of times, it was the worst of times but with all its pain, lows and broken dreams 2010 was still a beautiful year to have lived through. Sweet adieu 2010; hallo 2011!!!

2 comments:

  1. Happy new year!!
    First my congratulations on your article being published in the weno paper....big up.

    ENYEWE 2010 was an year of alot of stuff but its now gone, it is always good to have friends who stick it out all the way in and out of seasons and how wonderful it is to have a family who are caring and supportive.

    For this new year i wish you the Lords unending blessings in abundance for you n Ryan n all your family and friends.

    Happy new 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks becky..twas a hectic year bt hey we made it!..hav a great year too....

    ReplyDelete